Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Garden of the Gods




One of the perks of going to Superstars Writing Seminars this year was I got to visit The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Co. To borrow from its website:

Garden of the Gods Park is a registered National Natural Landmark. Imagine dramatic views, 300' towering sandstone rock formations against a backdrop of snow-capped Pikes Peak and brilliant blue skies.

The park has become one of my favorite places. Not only are there amazing rock formations (and the pictures in the post don't do justice to the place or give you a sense of the sheer size of these rocks. I went shortly after sunrise. The sound of the pigeons in the cliff face was a constant thrum in the background. Rabbits calmly cropped grass while I stood less than five feet away.

I'd heard the rocks change as the lights hit them. And they did.  Even though the main track through the park was only a mile long, I spent three hours meandering through the cliffs. I'm going to try to swing by again before the conference ends.

If you are ever in Colorado Springs, The Garden of the Gods is well worth the trip. I know I'll be back.


2 comments:

Nathan Barra said...

Great minds think alike! I also visited the Garden in the days after Superstars. Too bad that I didn't know you were going, else I would have invited you along for the company. :-)

Unknown said...

I would have loved to join you. I actually went before the session started. Maybe next year.