Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year's Eve !

 
 2012 is about to sing its final song. Thank goodness. It's been an interesting years of successes, disasters and set backs. It's the time of year that we make resolutions, most of which we won't keep. Every year we hope to be better, slimmer and sexier than the year before. Every year at this time we're saddened by not having achieved those goals. If I've learned anything from living with a criminal defense attorney for almost 20 years is that often you need to redefine the term "win."

This year the main theme of my life seems to be change. My son changed schools. I've changed law firms. Opened a new office in Fairfax, Virginia. Had my paralegal quit for slightly more money. I became a professional writer, and am making head roads on my dream to make writing the day job. While it's been a volatile ride, I'm mostly happy with where things are.

Still, I think I'm going to adopt a Festivus tradition for this year. I've been thinking of this since I wrote last week's post on Christmas. One of the Festivus traditions is "the airing of the grievances." I think with a little tweak, it would really work. Here's my tweak: Rather than airing grievances at any one person, I think they need to be told to the Universe and then let go. After all, the New Year is all about new beginnings and a "fresh start." How can you get one of those if you're still holding on to last year's baggage?

So, at 11:55 pm tonight, tell your regrets, your slights and angers to the Universe and let them go at midnight. Start the New Year with hope and a clear heart. At least, that's what I'm going to do.

Wishing you health, happiness and good reading for 2013. 



2 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Happy new year! I agree, starting the year with hope and a clear heart is definitely the way to go about things. I've seen some people get really bent out of shape about what they didn't pull off in 2012, and dwelling like that just seems so unhealthy to me. After all, the past is the past, so why not move both on and forward?

Unknown said...

Exactly Heather. It's hard to make progress forward when your feet are mired in the past's quicksand.
Wishing you the best for 2013 as well.